Saturday, October 4, 2008

the beast in you


Today is World Animal Day.

Unfortunately, it doesn't mean a thing to lot of people. Only animal lovers will understand the need for a day to acknowledge and remember the animals who share this planet with us.

Of course it's great to honour our pets for the joy and unconditional love that they bring into our lives. And it's wonderful to remember the plight of abandoned pets and strays who deserve better.

But today is also about honouring all the creatures of Earth, for they have just as much right as humans do to living lives of love, dignity, joy and good health.

A couple of days ago, I was working on the weekend listings for the newspaper. I put a small picture of a young husky next to an item describing what the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was doing this weekend in honour of World Animal Day. The picture was taken from the SPCA's calendar for next year, which would be sold at the event to help raise funds for the non-government-supported shelter.

And the editor wanted the picture of the dog taken out.

"There are so many things happening this week -- why can't we use a picture of people instead?"

But it's World Animal Day this weekend, and there are a couple of events that are being held in its honour, some of my animal-loving colleagues and I said in defence. Anyway, there are already several pictures of people in the listings pages.

"No, no no. I want a picture of a person. This dog isn't even a famous dog. Animals are nobodies!"

Of course the dog had to be taken out in the end. And a picture of some visiting French singer with a niche following was used instead.

I was so hurt and angry, I cried.

Looking back, I'm not sure whom I hurt for most. The animals, of course, because they so often have to live with such disdain and disrespect.

But I think I also cried for the editor. Because to me, that remark spoke volumes about the spirit of someone with so little regard for another life that just happens to be non-human.


No comments: