Friday, January 16, 2009

happy birthday to me


I've spent most of my birthday at work. Twelve straight hours in the office. I'd really wanted to get a day off today, but it being a Friday (the busiest day of the week at work), I couldn't.

So... bummer.


But there were lots of bright moments throughout the day.

Thanks to Facebook, a lot more people were alerted to the occasion and the well wishes that came my way -- not just from Singapore, but also Abu Dhabi, Australia and Germany -- really made a difference. Those well wishes started coming in from yesterday and kept on coming till about 11 tonight.


Wow.

I know some people will laugh and say that it's quick and easy to send birthday greetings these days because it's free.

Sure.

But I am still touched and grateful for the fact that these people
1. cared enough about me to even want to greet me on my birthday
2. took precious time off their busy schedules to type or text me a message of love and well wishes.

As I sit here now, I do regret that I was unable to spend my birthday more meaningfully.

But I'm glad to have this time now to reflect a little on the past year, on the choices I've made and the things that I've done. Not all have been wise and wonderful, but the fact that there are people in the world who love me and wish me well despite that, tells me I'm also doing some things right.

And that's a great birthday gift. Thank you all very much.


No comments: