Tuesday, July 22, 2008

churchill's visit


Our dog Churchill visited tonight.

Church passed away on the night of July 22 two years ago, at age 14.

Last night, about five minutes after I'd gone upstairs to have a shower, my husband went upstairs too. And as he climbed the stairs, he was assailed by a strong doggie smell that was distinctively Church's.

It went off after a few minutes, but we are both sure it was Church, just saying hi and letting us know he still likes to hang out with us.

My husband and I are both animal lovers,
and we've loved and lost several pets in the 19 years that we've been married. But we do believe that our pets have souls, and that they, too, go home to heaven when it is time for them to.

Our four oldest pets -- two dogs and two cats -- all died within two years of one another.


A little under a year after Church passed on, our other dog Cindy, who was Church's beloved friend, followed. She was 16.

A few days after her passing, I was picking up my handbag and getting ready to leave for work when I saw both Cindy and Church stretched out in the family room. They both looked as they did in their prime, and they were both grinning broadly at me.

They looked so well and happy that I couldn't help smiling too. And I thanked them for showing me that they were both fine and happy to be together again.

Several months later, our oldest cat Hepburn joined them at age 17, and then Shelley, who was 14+ and best friends with Church, followed.

At each passing, I both sensed and saw the angels coming to take each beloved pet home.

And the knowledge that their souls are important enough to merit the angels coming to comfort and guide them into the light, when it is their time to go, lessened the sorrow of losing them.

The truth is, we haven't lost them at all -- at least, not in spirit.

I was sitting and watching TV once, and suddenly I felt and sensed Shelley sitting on my lap and purring.

Another time, I woke up in the middle of the night and felt Hep sleeping with me.

None of the incidents were scary. Instead, they were all loving and joyous experiences. For they simply confirm
what I now know: One day, we will all be together as a family again.

In the meantime, I'm just happy with their visits.

1 comment:

Ice Princess said...

Hi Jas,

It so happened that I was reading a book by Doreen Virtue yesterday and she touched upon the topic of our pets.

She said she was once with a group of clients and she could see the pets (which had passed on) of her clients.

She added that she could easily tell which dog belonged to which person as the dogs would faithfully sit near their owners (so sweet). Whereas for cats, she had a little more difficulty identifying their owners due to the independent nature of cats (which were wandering around). It was an interesting read for me. :)

I do miss my dogs which have passed on. It's nice to know that our furry friends visit us every now and then.